Friday 22 August 2014

Love Mine Anenome

Proud double anenome!
Tightly pursed lips have met me for weeks as this late summer show-off bided its time.  Now one morning it has unfurled with a "ta-dah!"  The clumps of anenome have grown into lush bushes in spite of their more sparse habit.  They are the envy of the neighbourhood with such voluminous buds and blooms.

Perfection to the bees.
Bright, white, splayed petals stretch like a small trampoline on each bloom, strongly supported by their tough, thick little stems.  People are posing with these starlets for the usual photo shoots.  

Full bloom grabbing the all the attention.

Little do these admiring fans know what a Matahari anenome can be.  She quietly sends her shoots beneath the ground to secretly sidle up within other unsuspecting plants, shooting for height and strength before I can discover her.  On her distracting canopy she performs her siren magic, and below she plots her takeover.

Give her enough rein and she will overwhelm you with her presence, but I know my wild-child's thinking.  I diligently keep an eye out for her sneaky arms to pop up in someone else's space.  She is held in close quarters, and her response is to fling herself upwards to seek freedom and space on my terms.

I reward her with water, a gentle word now and then, and ample support for her heightened aerials.  Well done, my beauties.  Now let's see what your new cousins, the double flowered anenomes can come up with!

And here is her competition - the Double Anenome!




See her taut trampoline-like petals?

No comments:

Post a Comment