Saturday 8 November 2014

Wind

Wind driven waves
Wind had been tempting me since I awoke, rushing in swirls about the garden and rustling the hydrangea against the window to get my attention. Now as I stepped outside, it roughly embraced me like an excited child.
I was pushed and pulled along the street by its enthusiasm, past the lone brave seagull at the beach who dared his aerial feats in the stronger than usual currents.
We reached the trail with a grand entrance of maple leaves dancing in the crescendo of giant gusts. I dug my feet in and felt my hair leap about my head in abandon, Wind grabbing and tussling it with zealous roughness.
My rain hat had been relegated to hang from a belt loop moments after entering into this realm, and now it battered about my hip furiously, trying to escape to join the maelstrom.
I waded through piled and piling leaves and debris, blinking and wincing at Wind's efforts to throw bits at me, snowball-style. But I was up to the challenge. A poke in one eye by a helpless maple leaf wasn't going to dull this heart-racing liveliness for me. I strode on, one eyed, not about to miss a moment while recovering. Bring it on.
Further along Wind threw fists of leaves against the trail's fence, delighting in their tumble. Quickly bored, it turned its attention next to roiling a swath of resting leaves into a whirlywind; but before I could dash it like a child kicking a sandcastle, its short attention span was off.  It clamoured up a nearly naked tree, wedging leaves into gaps and pulling remaining holdouts from their twigs. Those stalwarts didn't stand a chance, and grudgingly let their grasp go, leafy fingertips no match for Wind's muscley pull.
Now fully sighted again, I swept along, a part of Wind by now, fully abandoned to its whims; a willing accomplice. We caught and threw leaves, ran in circles, and breathed in relishing gasps.
A small songbird careened drunkenly past my head and into a thick thicket's safety, to the cheers of its fellow refugees.
Too quickly our tryst was over, Wind's and mine, and I reluctantly left its domain at the front door. Thank you, Wind, for that delicious moment in time.
brave seagull


No comments:

Post a Comment