Monday 8 September 2014

Everybody Has A Story



Some people are easy to read if you tune in closely. There is a woman we frequently see on our daily walk. Her story floats around her as she breezes by. I can tell it is an absorbing story because she has a perpetually distracted demeanour. When I hail her she is always slightly startled, as though she is quite astonished she was visible. She used to walk her little dog, one that wore goggles to protect it from the sun, and a special coat to help its much-loved little body stay warm. 
The day she lost that friend we happened upon her, all alone for the first time. She was sobbing, so I didn't ask, I just wound my arms about her to give her some warmth of understanding.  After a moment she seemed a little buffered, the infusion of sharing pumping just a little continuity into her loss. I've seen her since, her story just a little deeper, but carrying on.

Today she wore a stylish black hat, a sleek black pant outfit, and her growing acceptance. I told her she looked lovely, and of course she shook herself out of her reverie to acknowledge my interest with her usual disconcerted surprise, but there was a shy pleasure in the moment for her.

It was also a pleasure for me to share her story just briefly.  We walked on as I enjoyed one of those moments of sheer joy, contemplating the gift that random kindness bestows on us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment