Wednesday 16 July 2014

All the voices of the garden


Is there a more perfect pitch than heard in a garden's song? The drip, drip of a sated plant box long after a generous watering, casually splashing on the flowers below? I swear it's like a roman courtier tipping wine to a reclining Caesar.

If those ever-fluttering little white butterflies could speak, they would be hurriedly repeating, "I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date!" As they dizzyingly whip about.

And the birds! Have you ever been in the company of a clutch of close friends as they converse, one over the other, in multiple layers of conversation? I'm not sure any of the birds actually listen to all the chatter of each other. I think, like some people, they just like to announce their opinions. But to me, it's an orchestra performing just for my pleasure.

Now I think the bees and like-minded creatures have the most pleasing of voices. Their varying buzzes, hums and whines tell stories of their own. Sometimes one gets cross, unable to force a snapdragon's mouth open without sheer brute strength.  But its angry high pitch becomes a satisfied hum as it finally reaches the nectar. See my blog on the snapdragon for a story about the trapped bee!

Bees fight too, like those territorial little hummingbirds.  I've seen them dive-bomb each other with Kung-fu yells; "zzzzttt", and "vvrrreeee!!!", vying for a particular blossom. But the satisfied purr of a multi-national gathering of bees on a bush that is in a perfect state of ripeness is a delight to listen to.  So wrapped up are the delegates that you can literally poke your face close and they hardly notice.


No comments:

Post a Comment