Tuesday 22 July 2014

Spider Zip-Lines

 
Just a little guy


Oh those late-summer spiders and their obsession with stringing up zip lines across the garden path.  And I fall for it every time.  I will stride out the door and collect ribbons of web across my face before I take two steps. I know they are smart animals, but their ambition surely exceeds their talents! Who else but someone my size do they expect to barge into those skinny guy-wires anyway?  What a wasted effort!  Maybe they are so exuberant at this time of year they can't help themselves from spinning, and there's nowhere else to tape their long excess strands. 

If I do catch one of the webs, I try to relocate it. With one finger I scoop up an end and re-attach it to a more appropriate tether, hoping to impress the owner with a site that promises a more attainable goal!

Nevertheless it seems that the seasonal spider madness eventually works itself out.   By autumn their spinning becomes much more professional, and positively artistic, decorating anything that stays still long enough. 

But more on the web artisans later. That form of art deserves it's own blog and I'm satisfied those zip lines I will be finding soon will be a short lived passion for the up and coming generation of spiders as always.
one of the single practice strands


No comments:

Post a Comment