Wednesday 30 July 2014

Garden Walkabout


 
Each day I am driven to seek my dose of garden.  Surely every drip from a plant I've just shared my last drop of tea with is a whispered "mmmnnnn, thank you" for my ears alone, and as I pass by a bowing bush it's stroke must be a personal welcome.

We have an understanding, my garden and I.  If I listen and feel very carefully, it makes me aware of the slightest nuances.  A close study of the baby willow tree, taking in her slightly curling new leaves, may lead me to discover a new farmed colony of aphids; their presence as a lightly undulating small black mass coming into focus under my scrutiny.  This would be short-lived.  The ant farmers would need to find a less permanent homestead.

My daily walkabout can't be hurried.  There are nooks and crannies I need to keep an eye on.  Are slugs at the salad bar my pansies provide?  Did Solly the cat pick right where I tucked in the baby lavender to dig about? 

Today I was anxious to check the new Datura.  It has promised me a spectacular sight the day it chooses to unfurl those long, exhibitionist flowers.  But today is not that day. It waits behind the newborn stargazer lilies, like a jet plane waiting its turn for takeoff. 

But what an act to follow!  The stargazer lilies are in a class of their own.  Huge, stunning, curled petals striped in pink and white, fastened like a floral bow on a gift. Petals bending backwards as gracefully as a gymnast, they face the sun and stars proudly, their potent orange stamens proudly thrusting out from the middle of their stage.

Yes this walkabout was as delightful as usual.  Can’t wait for tomorrow!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment