Monday 14 July 2014

Honey Bird


At least that's what our daughter used to call Hummingbirds!  I think it's quite appropriate. After all, they drink nectar and hover over flowers. I'm a little suspicious that they are actually fairies though. Have you ever had a close encounter with one? Totally magical.

Come take a little journey with me to one day a while ago when a little hummingbird and I had a moment.

I was in my usual pose;  long summer dress, garden hat, and the hose in my hand sprinkling a garden bed.  I don't think the neighbors would recognize me any other way! Deep in reflection, I became aware of the familiar buzz and "chit, chit" of a hummingbird close by. I was loathe to move because you never know how close they will come. Then zoom, this totsy little bird zipped through the spray from my sprinkler!  I froze trying not to attract attention, just in case it wasn't an accident. But again it dashed through the spray, then to my astonishment landed right on my two foot watering wand, just inches from my hand.

I gently chatted with this juvenile sweetie while it preened without a care in the world. In the corner of my eye I knew the flower bed was drowning in the spray as I didn't dare move lest this magical visitor should leave.  Then as though sensing my distraction, the bird jumped off the hose to alight on a willow branch just two feet away. There it continued to preen and ruffle. Cheekily I flicked the water up over him, and he simply spread his wings to bathe some more!

As my fairy friend got back to work on the butterfly bush next to me, the mundane world came back into focus, and I realized some guests had arrived to witness this amazing moment.

I have to add to this blog that, as I write, I have had a visit from another hummingbird. It flew up beside me and stared at me from only 18 inches away. I greeted it, and it danced sideways in a semi-circle, stopping every few inches to have another look right into my eyes. Positively inspiring.  And I think I got the official okay for this blog.

In the very centre of this picture is a hummingbird sitting on a Crocosmia.  Click on the picture for a close look!  Thank you to our daughter for the picture.  They wouldn't let me catch them on film today.


No comments:

Post a Comment