Thursday 17 July 2014

Marvelous Mimosa


My dear Mimosa tree lifts my spirits every time I take in its beauty. Its gently waving, delicate fronds lift at the slightest breeze.  Its umbrella-like countenance makes such a pleasing vision.

When I first brought it home the poor little thing was just like a Charlie Brown tree.  Just two little antlers on a lanky, knobbly stem.  But I knew there were great things in store for my Mimosa.  Now in its third year, you'd hardly recognize it.  With a stunning grace, its beauty goes unmatched.

Do you remember in the movie Avatar how the Tree of Life's seeds floated through the air to land on the hero? Those seeds looked like dandelion wisps, only upside down. Well Mimosa's flowers are exactly the same. They are pink and fluffy, and they perch on the top canopy like sunbathers worshiping the sun!  The producers of Avatar surely must have got their inspiration from the Mimosa.

All passers-by whip out their cameras to catch my beautiful specimen tree at its best.  It discreetly hails people with gentle dipping and bowing. "What is that tree?", they ask.  I nonchallantly answer, "Oh that. Why a Mimosa of course!", though I am secretly thrilled with each person who simply must know.  I'm sure I detect envy, and I lap it up.

Have a look below. You will see why Mimosa has caught my heart and my imagination.
See the little antlers sticking up behind the lilac tree?
two mimosa flowers

 
a close up of a branch with flowers.
 
 And finally the widespread canopy.  See the lilac to its left?  No contest now!
 
By the way, the first picture shows my unruly Montana clematis from another post.
 
Click on a picture to see it bigger.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment